I’m here today with this month’s installment of Wednesday Favorites. I actually love writing these and I really hope you enjoy them too!
1. Recently I’ve decided to go dairy free for the next three months. I’m having some health issues that may be related to dairy and so I’m going all in to test it out. In the last year I’ve cut waaaay back on the dairy I do eat so it’s not a huge change. But, I have been lenient and eliminating it all together definitely feels more restrictive. If you know me at all you know I have a HUGE sweet tooth. So, I’ve decided the key is not feeling deprived so I need to have some really good dairy free options on hand when a craving hits. One thing I’ve found that really fits the bill is Ben and Jerry’s new dairy free flavors. They’re made with almond milk and are so freaking good. My favorite is the peanut butter and cookies. Honestly it’s the best dairy free ice cream I’ve tried yet, when I eat it I don’t feel like I’m missing a single thing compared to regular ice cream. The chocolate fudge brownie isn’t as good, but if you’re craving chocolate it definitely gets the job done. What’s really cool about Ben and Jerry’s coming out with dairy free options is that now other big brands are doing it too. I know Haagen-Dazs just released theirs. I haven’t tried them yet, but would be excited to compare.
2. A couple TV shows I’ve been into this month are the last season of GIRLS and a Netflix original called Friends From College. I thought GIRLS just really brought it this season. So much happened in every episode, which I can’t say was the case in all their previous seasons. Plus the music and graphics were on point. I watched an interview with the creators after the last episode and that definitely helped explain it some. And then Friends From College was kind of a surprise. I’d never heard of it when Xan suggested it, but it has several recognizable people in it (Keegan-Michael Key, Fred Savage, Cobie Smulders) and I thought it was just going to be a comedy. But it had more too, it was a little bit dramatic and dark but funny at the same time. Is it the best show on Netflix? Probably not, but I was pleasantly surprised by how solid it was and would definitely watch a second season if they made one.
3. Have you heard of Creative Mornings? It’s this really cool event that happens once a month with chapters all over the country (and maybe the world). One topic is selected each month and then all the chapters have a speaker that talks about their perspective on it. There’s food and coffee and you get to meet other cool creatives in your community and it’s free! When I go I always feel so inspired and connected to the people around me, it’s pretty awesome. If you’ve never been and they have one in your city then I highly recommend it.
4. With summer comes mosquito bites, amirite? I get soooo many, I mean they just love me. But, I’m not really into traditional bug repellents because of all the chemicals. Recently a friend lent me some all natural bug repellent they made from different oils. All I did was rub a light layer around my ankles, on my arms and behind my ears. It worked like a charm! It’s called Thieves Oil and if you want to make your own just use 2/3 cup of a mild carrier oil such as jojoba or almond and mix 2 teaspoons clove oil, 2 teaspoons lemon oil, 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon oil, and 1 teaspoon of rosemary oil. I can’t recommend this awesome natural bug repellent enough.
5. I was searching Anthro’s sale section for a belt to go with a dress and noticed they have so many amazing earrings right now. So, my ears actually aren’t pierced. I had them pierced several times when I was young but every time they would never heal. Apparently some people just can’t have pierced ears. But I love earrings SO MUCH. If I could wear them I would have so many. And sometimes I do wear clip-ons, but they’re just not the same. If the clips are tight enough to keep the earrings on then they usually start to hurt after a couple hours. And there aren’t many people making on-trend clip on’s because it’s basically me and all the grandmas who wear them. Haha. But, I’m seriously considering getting some of these and converting them to clips. I’ll probably regret it, but they’re so beautiful how am I supposed to ignore them?? These are my favorites, but these, these, and these are amazing too. And with an extra 30% off sale most of them are a really good price.
6. Ok, this one is for the Raleigh locals, or anyone visiting. I was there last weekend and went to St. Roch’s Fine Oysters + Bar, you guys it was so good! I think it’s one of the best restaurants in Raleigh. Every part of the meal was outstanding, from the drinks to the oysters to the entrees. Almost all of the oysters come from NC and were actually good. But, for me the show stopper was the special which was soft-shelled crab with heirloom tomatoes, watermelon and goat cheese. I’m dead. So good. I recommend getting some oysters, Nancy’s Dress to drink (it sounds a little weird but is really good), and the Crab St. Roch as an appetizer (it’s so good, but too heavy to be your whole meal). And in case you’re wondering we confirmed that it’s pronounced St. Rock.
Happy Wednesday, friends. I hope you’re having an awesome week!